PLC stands for A Programmable Logic Controller, and it is a ruggedized computer used for industrial automation. These controllers are mostly automated for a specific process, machine function, or even an entire production line.
PLC programming is basically an all-encompassing engineering field because the control engineers necessary to work out with numerous sophisticated software such as CAD, SCADA, HMI development, and PLC programming. That is why a typical low-end machine will not be capable of managing this workload. Therefore, you need the best laptop for PLC programming that can run robust programs along with multiple virtual machines, as it may require.
Before discussing all recommendations for the best PLC programming laptops, it would be great to know what we need, and it will help us make the right decisions to purchase Laptop. While the requirements might differ according to the work scenario, that is why you should choose the correct configuration as per your needs or requirements.
We will break down a list of recommended system requirements for you – what you will need to see in the best laptop for PLC programming. So, let us get started.
Laptops Requirements For Developers
Programming is based on a broad niche as there are numerous programming languages that programmers use to code. Thus, a programmer’s laptop should be adequately properties to run all programming language local servers, compilers, interpreters, code editors, etc., efficiently. But what are the ideal configuration of a laptop that should be explicitly used for “programming”? What is the vital component that you should know before you buy a laptop as a programmer?
Well, here are all the specs…
When laptop comes to use for coding and development, Apple macOS & Microsoft Windows have been the most preferred operating systems for years. The OS we prefer most for the programmer’s laptop is, and MacBook’s are good for developing purposes. Still, they are costlier than Windows laptops, so not everyone can afford it– And another ‘Microsoft Windows’ is an outstanding laptop as it supports most of the programming languages.
If you are a developer of an iOS or any other Apple ecosystem or a student in this field and want to learn it, it will be great to buy a Mac because Objective C and Swift require Xcode is only available for Mac right now.
Linux is another excellent choice for developers in Python, Ruby on Rails, and PHP, but Windows also helps them all. So, generally, Windows is a good OS for all programmers and developers’ work machines, but the Mac is a must for Apple developers.
Whether you are developing a website or a mobile app, you will require a laptop with a powerful processor to run all those demanding programs you use to code and to run that code. That’s why ‘CPU aka processor is the brain of every computer. While you are opting for a laptop, you must look for quad-core processors or with a higher core count than that for a laptop used for programming. Multiple cores in Processor and thread count not only support load code editors faster and perfectly but also help to assemble and build up your projects quickly, saving you a lot of time.
According to our research, laptops with Intel i5 processor will be a good option as most of the programmers have sufficed requirements. If you are into something intensive like programming in graphics or game development, we suggest laptops powered by an Intel i7 processor. For beginners in programming and students, laptops with Intel i3 processor will be a good option, but you should try to buy an Intel i5 powered laptop for programming if you have the budget. That would make your purchase good.
It does not mean you should spend all too much money to get the high demanding RAM for your computer.
It is always good to have more RAM on a laptop to run compilers, code editor, local servers, and a web browser simultaneously. We suggest at least 8GB of RAM for programming but, if you are working on game development, CNC programming, graphics programming, or anything similar, you will need 16GB or more RAM.
Hard Drive or Solid-State Drive
Let us make it simple and straight, HDDs are slower; while they are found predominantly on cheaper laptops, SSDs are faster than HDDs ((a lot faster actually), which are found in notebooks priced about $500 and upwards. While, when it comes to laptops for programming, then SSDs are highly beneficial to programmers. They considerably improve the computer’s overall speed, which means faster compose-time and fast opening of code editors and other software’s. Plus, it also supports working the laptop quickly & a faster load to work from where you left.
Thus, we highly suggest the laptop with SSD for programming. While they are slightly not budget-friendly but it is worth spending extra for the excellent performance.
Dedicated Graphics For Programming
it is unnecessary, but It is good to have because integrated graphics on new Intel and AMD CPUs run most of the programs that will help code on your laptop.
Moreover, it is ideal to have if you want to plan games occasionally on your laptop. We recommend an entry-level GPU from Nvidia or AMD with 2GB dedicated graphics is sufficient for programming and gaming. Still, if you are working in game development or another intensive coding that needs more horsepower, you will need better graphics-backed laptops.
Apart from the factors revealed above, a laptop should also have a comfortable keyboard with decent soft touching keys. A must has an anti-glare display (IPS suggested) to minimize eye strain while prolonged coding sessions. Lightweight design & Good battery life will also be a plus point.
Best laptops for PLC Programming
Whether you are just learning PLC programming or a professional PLC programmer, you should have a good laptop to manage your workload. Working with CAD, SCADA, and HMI development cannot work smoothly with the wrong notebook. To get an excellent experience, you should have a laptop with robust hardware that can manage all heavy lifting types without breaking down.
So, we have created a list for you of excellent laptops that are perfect for PLC programming. Let us look at them.
Samsung Galaxy Book Ion laptop for developers
You expect the Samsung Galaxy Book Ion to provide decent performance, which is pretty much true. It comes with a 10th Generation Intel Core I7 Processor and 8GB of DDR4 memory (along with a 512GB NVMe SSD). It can handle day-to-day tasks with ease. Windows 10 Home OS boots up provide fast and feel snappy and responsive when in use. There are many things to love about the Samsung Galaxy Book Ion, such as fast and responsive. It is very light and thin. And there are loads of ports to play with; you can even expand the storage by adding a second SSD internally. Moreover, it is also having a stunning display, good battery life. So, say welcome to Samsung Galaxy Book Ion as it is considering the best laptop for developers.
- Powerhouse Processor – 10th Generation Intel Core I7 Processor
- Long-Lasting Battery – Thanks To The Fast-Charging Battery That Lasts Up To 22 Hours
- Elevated Experience – The Galaxy Book Ion’s Slim Design Elevates The Keyboard
- Windows 10 Home OS Most Powerful Operating System Features All The Familiar Programs You Know And Love
The Samsung Galaxy Book Ion is an attractively designed light & thin laptop that features an inspiring amount of power, besides several genuinely unique features – that is why it is successful. It has a stunning screen display and an awe-inspiring battery life, so it is suitable for PLC programming.
Microsoft Surface Book 2 Laptop for coding
As it comes to one of the best 2-in-1 laptops, Microsoft Surface Book 2 is top on the list– it can handle the latest PC games and last for a helluva long time, to boot. This is also the best tablet for drawing that we have tested yet.
- Microsoft Surface Book 2 – 8th generation Intel Quad-Core i7 Processor
- Vibrant PixelSense Display: 13.5″ touchscreen
- Enhanced Graphics performance with NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 discrete GPU w/2GB GDDR5 Graphics Memory
- 512 GB of storage, 16 GB RAM, and up to 17 hours of video playback
- Runs Windows 10 Pro
Look at this laptop for all the tech specs. Everything that you want on the computer for PLC coding, the power of Surface Book 2 can be found right here. The perfect match for Microsoft’s new Surface Book 2 is Apple’s MacBook Pro. It is providing an excellent answer to Apple’s option. With Windows-specific strengths like a touchscreen and detachable display, it is why the Surface Book 2 is a good laptop. Its high-end graphics card and support for Xbox controllers also make it a miniature Xbox One for gaming on the go. Believe us, the Surface Book 2 is the best portable Surface laptop that you can play the latest games on and can run high-resolution software.
Acer Aspire 5 A515-55-56VK Laptop For Programming
- 10th Generation Intel Core i5-1035G1 Processor (Up to 3.6GHz)| 8GB DDR4 Memory | 256GB NVMe SSD
- 15.6" Full HD (1920 x 1080) widescreen LED backlit IPS Display | Intel UHD Graphics
- Intel Wireless Wi-Fi 6 AX201 802.11ax | Backlit Keyboard | Fingerprint Reader | HD Webcam | Up to 8 Hours Battery Life
- 1 - USB 3.1 (Type-C) Gen 1 port (up to 5 Gbps), 2 - USB 3.1 Gen 1 Port (one with Power-off Charging), 1 - USB 2.0 Port & 1 - HDMI...
- Windows 10 Home
We saw versions of the Aspire 5 in various dual- and quad-core configurations of Intel’s Core Whiskey Lake CPUs and AMD Ryzen 3000 series chips in 2019. And in the second half of 2020, the Aspire 5 was come with 10th-generation Intel processors and AMD Ryzen Series 4000 CPUs, with configurations ranging from quad-core (Intel) to octo-core (AMD). Sticker prices for the Aspire 5 line remain decidedly wallet friendly. The Acer Aspire 5’s full-HD display looks, as expected, sharp and vivid, although this is a budget-minded laptop that is also good for Programming.
- 10th Generation Intel Core i5-1035G1 Processor
- 15.6″ Full HD (1920 x 1080) widescreen LED-backlit IPS Display
- (Up to 3.6GHz) | 8GB DDR4 Memory | 256GB NVMe SSD
- Intel Wireless Wi-Fi 6 AX201 802.11ax
- Backlit Keyboard
- Up to 8 Hours Battery Life
- Fingerprint Reader
- HD Webcam
- Windows 10 Home
Acer Aspire 5 A515-55-56VK laptop is a standard quality laptop available in the market. This laptop features a 10th Generation Intel Core i5-1035G1 Processor. With 8GB DDR4 Memory | 256GB NVMe SSD, this laptop’s multitasking performance is never a problem. The Acer Aspire laptop comes with a speed boot-up time and loads the application faster than other laptops.
The Aspire 5 A515-55-56VK laptop also gives outstanding picture quality for entertainment. Moreover, its Lithium-Ion Battery offers up to 8-hours Battery Life for entertainment and another operational purpose. The connectivity available on this laptop is HDMI, USB Charging Port, WIFI, USB Type-C, 2 x USB 3.1, Fingerprint and more.
Lenovo Legion Y540
Lenovo Legion Y540 is considered a good gaming laptop that provides performance and features a surprisingly lightweight and mature design. It comes with 15.6″ Full HD (1920 x 1080) IPS, anti-glare, 300 nits, 144Hz Display with multiple configuration options. This laptop is suitable for PLC programming.
- 9th Generation Intel Core i7-9750H Processor
- 15.6″ Full HD (1920 x 1080) IPS, anti-glare, 300 nits, 144Hz Display
- GHz, up to 4.50 GHz with Turbo Boost, 6 Cores, 12 Threads, 12 MB Cache)
- 1 TB Hard Drive 7200 RPM + 512 GB PCIe Solid State Drive
- NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 6GB
- Backlit Keyboard, Wifi ac, Bluetooth,
- Windows 10
The Lenovo Legion Y540 has powerful specs to play all modern triple-A games smoothly in 1080p at high graphics. We recommend this laptop if you are PLC developers, as complex codes will look choppy if you try running them at maximum pictures.
Microsoft Surface Laptop 3 for programming students
- Clean, elegant design — thin and light, starting at just 2.79 pounds, Surface Laptop 3 is easy to carry
- Choose from rich tone-on-tone color combinations: new Sandstone, plus Matte Black, Cobalt Blue, and Platinum
- Improved speed and performance to do what you want, with the latest processors – Surface Laptop 3 is up to two times faster than...
- More ways to connect, with USB-C and USB-A ports for connecting to displays, docking stations and more, as well as accessory...
- All-day power on the go, with up to 11.5 hours of battery life, Plus standby time when you’re away. Go from empty to a full...
Microsoft Surface Laptop 3 comes with the new AMD Ryzen Surface Edition CPU, a collaboration between AMD and Microsoft. And this is Microsoft’s first flagship laptop that is rocking the new AMD Ryzen Surface Edition CPU. Moreover, its fantastic battery life is valued more than anything else.
- 10th Gen Intel Core i7 and i5
- 16GB Memory – 256GB Solid State Drive
- Clean, elegant design — thin and light, starting at just 2.79 pounds,
- Improved speed and performance with the latest processors –
- Surface Laptop 3 is up to two times faster than Surface Laptop 2
- All-day power on the go, with up to 11.5 hours of battery life,
- Windows 10 Home
The 15-inch Microsoft Surface Laptop 3 has the best battery life, so it is the Best laptops for programming students and developers. This laptop has the excellent power and versatility that most would expect from a high-resolution device, making it a perfect follow up for anyone who was hoping for more.
ASUS ZenBook 13 Ultra-Slim i7-10510U
- Innovative screen pad: 5.65-Inch interactive touchscreen trackpad that adapts to your needs for smarter control and multitasking
- App switcher on screen pad: easily move docked Windows between your main display and screen pad Display
- 13.3 inch wide-view full HD 4-way NanoEdge bezel Display
- Latest 10th generation Intel Core i7-10510u Core Processor (8M Cache, up to 4.9 GHz) with discrete graphics NVIDIA GeForce MX250
- Fast storage and memory featuring 512GB PCIe NVMe SSD with 16GB RAM
With its handsome blue aluminium finish & sleek styling, the Asus ZenBook 13 has been a perennial Editors’ Choice contender, albeit overshadowed by ultraportable aces like the extra-compact Dell XPS 13 or the Razor Blade Stealth 13 with its game excellent Nvidia GeForce GTX 1650 graphics. It offers a 10th Generation Intel Core i7 CPU, more memory and storage, and a fancy touchpad that is good for running codes. It is also an indeed improved laptop that any business traveller would be proud to carry.
- 5.65-Inch interactive touchscreen trackpad that moves docked Windows between your primary display and screen pad Display.
- 13.3-inch wide-view full HD 4-way NanoEdge bezel Display
- Latest 10th generation Intel Core i7-10510u Core Processor
- (8M Cache, up to 4.9 GHz) with discrete graphics NVIDIA GeForce MX250
- Fast storage and memory featuring 512GB PCIe NVMe SSD with 16GB RAM.
- Windows Hello
- Extensive connectivity with HDMI, USB Type C, Wi-Fi 6 (802.11Ax), Bluetooth 5.0 and Micro SD card reader
Updates its 13.3-inch ultraportable with a new CPU in Asus ZenBook 13 and an innovative touchpad that serves excellent screen for shortcuts and accessory apps. It is a strong contender in a crowded field.
Dell G5 Gaming budget laptop for programming
- Fast and easy multitasking: experience high-grade Graphics and processing power that meets your gaming and multitasking needs for...
- Advanced thermal Management: optimized thermal design and IR sensor keeps your laptop cool to the touch, without affecting...
- Fast Processor: 9th Generation intel(r) core(tm) i5-9300h Processor, quad-core, 2.4GHz up to 4.1GHz with Intel's) Turbo Boost
- Realistic graphics: nvidia(r) geforce(r) GTX 1650 (4 GB GDDR5 dedicated). enjoy new levels of gaming realism and performance with...
- Memory and storage: 8 GB DDR4-2400 SDRAM (upgradable with 2 accessible Memory Slots) and Fast boot-up, file transfer and a...
8th Generation Intel Core i7-8750H Processor (6-Core, 9MB Cache, up to 3.9GHz w/ Turbo Boost), 8GB 2666MHz DDR4 up to [32GB]
- 8th Generation Intel Core i7-8750H Processor
- 15.6-inch FHD (1920 x 1080) IPS Anti-Glare, LED-Backlit Display,
- 128 GB (SSD) Boot + 1 TB 5400 RPM [SATA] HDD Storage, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti, with 4GB GDDR5 graphics memory
- 56 Whr Battery, 4-Cell (Integrated), 1 X HDMI, 4 X USB 3.1 [3 x USB 3.1 Gen 1, 1 x USB 3.1 Gen 1 Type-C]
- Backlit Keyboard
Dell G5 Gaming laptop delivers a killer combo of in-game frame rates, next-gen features, value and, well, game-changing battery life. That is why it is one of the good laptops for programming.
Frequently Ask Questions
How to choose a laptop for programming?
A laptop is a deal with at least 8GB of RAM. The requirement goes even higher for game developers. Game development environments need powerful systems and high-level design to run. We suggest searching laptops with 16GB of RAM and the ability to expand the memory to 16GB at a later point.
Is 4GB RAM enough for programming?
The amount of RAM is considered one of the most important things. As a programmer, you need to run heavy IDEs and virtual machines. That is why a laptop with 4GB of RAM should suffice. Though, application or software developers who require to run virtual machines, emulators, and IDEs to compile massive projects will need more RAM.
Do you need a powerful computer for coding?
You really need a powerful computer at all. Programming is not just about editing text files.
What is the best budget laptop for programming?
These are our top picks for the best laptops for programmers. While it also depends on your needs and budget, the following is the best:
- Samsung Galaxy Book
- Microsoft Surface Book 2
- Acer Aspire 5 A515-55-56VK
- Lenovo Legion Y540
- Microsoft Surface Laptop 3
- ASUS ZenBook 13 Ultra-Slim
- Dell G5 Gaming Core
Which Processor Is Best For Coding?
If you want excellent programming experience, you should consider a laptop with an i5 or i7 processor. These processors have cores, and the higher number of cores offers optimal speed and performance. If you do not want an Intel processor, you can buy a laptop that has a newer AMD processor.
Is Mac or PC better for coding?
Macs tend to be an excellent choice for web development. If you want to become a programmer but do not own a Mac because you cannot afford it —that is not a problem! You can buy a PC. It is also a good option.
Is a graphic card necessary for programming?
A dedicated graphics card is not very vital for coding purposes. You can save money by going with an integrated graphics card. And can Invest the money in an SSD or a better processor, which will provide more value for the money.
Programming can be performed on many different devices, but many programmers prefer something more than just a basic laptop. And they want a laptop with plenty of RAM and a modern multi-core processor. Moreover, the best laptops for programming are essential tools for any developer who wants a powerful machine to work on while also being portable enough to take it out and about with them and work almost anywhere. All the above laptops are best for PLC programming.